Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 :Rinse the chickpeas, drain and set aside.
- Step 2 :In a dutch oven or large deep skillet heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic, sautéing until tender.
- Step 3 :Add the tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, salt, pepper and oregano and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Step 4 :Add the chickpeas and cook for an additional 5 minutes and stir in the water.
- Step 5 :Pour the mixture into a clay pot or Dutch oven (you may also put into a baking pan and cover well with aluminum foil).
- Step 6 :Bake with lid on at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Step 7 :Enjoy!
- 1pound dried chickpeas or 2 large cans chickpeas
- 3medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4large tomatoes peeled and diced or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2tablespoons dried rosemary (to taste) or a sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 laurel/bay leaves
- 1teaspoon each of salt, pepper and oregano
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of water
- if using dried chickpeas you will need to soak them overnight in water with ½ cup of baking soda.